Saturday, November 14, 2015

Interview with Scott Darnell: Drawing, Art and Creativity

How long after your accident did you start taking-on the creative/art projects you created using a typewriter - and writing your life story?

It was about 15 months after my injury while I was at an independent living center. I had a few friends who enjoyed cross stitching, and I thought I could use a typewriter to do patterns for them. The surprise and enjoyment everyone shared when seeing them made it easy to continue - and yes, those first several were done on a typewriter.

It took another year for me to start writing things down, as my brother's hooking me up with a computer truly changed the "world" I lived in. I thought there were some memories too precious to forget, and I wanted to challenge my ability to report it as I would hope - so that readers could close their eyes and visualize it, without going too far and making it boring.

Briefly, what drove you to do these things?

Pleasing/surprising others, proving to them and myself that there was much more to Scott Darnell than the previous physical person I was.

What did you get out of them?

I like to affect people in a positive way. Although it is cool that I drew these pictures, I think the premise reassures people that I'm okay. They don't need to worry about me having to be on my feet to be happy - which is a huge relief for me when people I care about get it. Another thing I get from my drawings... confidence. What started out as scribbling gave way to blueprints and now the ability to truly capture a moment. I can now get my ideas into a form where they can be shared and brought to fruition. I could have never have the latter without the former.

What's the story behind the Vince series?

It originated from my dreams. When you talk to the majority of people with a spinal cord injury, they will tell you that they are not paralyzed in their dreams. There is a wheelchair usually in there, but it is just like any other piece of furniture. So I was still dreaming about driving my boat, or my Bronco, or playing volleyball, etc., and I thought it would be funny to insert a character in a wheelchair into impossible situations that we have thus far not seen. There are actually two characters, both derived from the word Invincible. Vince is in both manual and power chair, and Able is in other scenarios.

What's the best feedback you have gotten from any of the Vince images?

People are amazed that I have drawn them myself. Even though I cannot wiggle a finger, can only flip my wrist one direction, and cannot force my hand down, I figured out how to turn the mouse one quarter turn counterclockwise and use the heel of my hand on the left click button. What I get the most reaction from is a military theme picture with a disabled young man sitting with some children. Having been to Pakistan myself, I can put myself right there. Having the young man disabled AND still in the military, represents the hearts of those who protect our freedoms - despite personal loss, so many of them would go right back into battle for us if they could.

How many Vince images are there, and do you have others in mind?

There are currently three Vince images, and one Able. It is a very big world out there and I think there are as many scenarios for me to put my guys... as there would be for anyone on foot!

What else do you feel people should know about this project – and/or creative projects in general for people who are dealing with some disability?

Because I lost everything physical, I was overwhelmed with time. Too much time to second-guess every move I have ever had in my life, and finding it impossible to really consider the future. I found that drawing a picture not only keeps my mind occupied, but it also gives me a reference mark for a time in my life. For me, when it all seems to be closing in, I know that I need the mental break that music and drawing provide.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Scott,

    This is truly amazing. I am really touched by your strength and your creative thoughts telling your story of dreams and desires you still live on with. Not only do you give hope to those who may want to give up, but you command respect from all who know you and admire you.

    May God continue to bless you,

    Dodie

    ReplyDelete